A huge fire in a Dhaka office block has killed at least 17 people, an official said Thursday, with desperate workers leaping to their deaths in the latest major inferno to hit the Bangladeshi capital.
“The death toll has risen to 17,” Khurshid Alam, a fire service officer, told AFP, adding the toll may continue to rise as rescue crews search the torched building.
Three died after jumping from the blazing 22-floor building in Dhaka while two others appeared to have died from the effects of the blaze, officials said.
People were seen shouting for help from windows, while media reports said at least six people had been seen leaping from flaming windows.
You May Also Like:
- New Minimum Wage: NLC, TUC lauds Buhari, calls for immediate implementation
- 18 years barren wife gives birth to quintuplets
- New Minimum Wage will cause chaos- Tony Momoh
- 8 Nigerians sentenced to death in UAE In connection with ATM robbery of over Dh1.8m
- President Buhari Signs New Minimum wage bill into Law